Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Change

The only thing that is constant is change.

Sometimes I feel like my life is whipping by me in such a blur that the only thing I can do is hang on for dear life and hope I don't get lost in the rush! When I look back at the end of a week, month, or year, I'm often blown away at how much things have changed in my life. Sometimes the change is good, sometimes not so much but I can always see how God has worked in my life for my good, even through the "not so much" times!

I'm having one of those moments of major change as I think about the fact that my "babies" are going to be starting preschool next week! How did that happen?! Wasn't I just bringing them home from the hospital, trying to figure out how to nurse them...do I feed them together or one at a time?, how do I keep them from spitting up everything I just fed them?, when do they ever sleep?!, they've been sleeping longer than normal, should I be worried?, why won't they stop crying?!, how am I ever going to be able to care for them by myself without help?!,..... And now here I am 4 1/2 years later, with 2 more little ones, and having moved twice in the last year and a half and I am amazed at how much life has changed.

I am very excited and anxious at the same time to begin this new journey into the school years with my kids. Camden & Braeden are very excited to start preschool and are always asking me when they get to go. I know they will love school as they love to do "school work" at home with worksheets and practicing writing their numbers, letters, names, cutting, coloring, etc. But, I am apprehensive about the fact that they may not understand that preschool isn't something they do once and then it's done (as was the case with VBS and that did not go over well at all). I guess we will find out next Tuesday!

Anytime there is a major change in my life, I have to admit that I approach it very warily. I know that I should embrace change and look at it as an opportunity for growth in my life and in my faith; I am still working on that! I have adopted the motto "find the joy in the moment" and when I think about that, I can always find something good in any situation! I think the change that I hate the most is my kids growing up! It's a love/hate thing because I love seeing them grow and change and I love experiencing life again through my kids' eyes, but at the same time, I long for the days when they were tiny, sweet smelling, squirmy, innocent and completely dependent on me babies! That time really does go by in a flash and before you know it you are dropping them off at school, putting on a brave front for them and crying your eyes out all the way home!

I find this quote to be very true and I am striving to be more confident in change!

"Change has a considerable psychological impact on the human mind. To the fearful it is threatening because it means that things may get worse. To the hopeful it is encouraging because things may get better. To the confident it is inspiring because the challenge exists to make things better."

King Whitney Jr.

No comments: